Twenty-one films from renowned Japanese animation studio Studio Ghibli will be available soon on Netflix, the streaming giant announced on Monday, January 20 on Twitter.
The move will undoubtedly satisfy anime fans around the world who have long admired the studio’s releases while also introducing new fans to the Ghibli-movie experience.
The 21 titles will be screened in their native Japanese, with subtitles, and be available on Netflix worldwide, except in the US, Canada, and Japan.
In a statement, Netflix Director of Original Animation Aram Yacoubian said: “We look forward to welcoming a new generation of fans into the whimsical worlds and wonderful protagonists created by the amazing artists of Studio Ghibli”.
The twenty-one movies will be released in three batches – The scheduled release dates are as follows:
February 1, 2020
- My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
- Castle in the Sky (1986)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989),
- Only Yesterday (1991)
- Porco Rosso (1992)
- Ocean Waves (1993)
- Tales from Earthsea (2006)
March 1, 2020
- Spirited Away (2001),
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
- My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999),
- The Cat Returns (2002),
- Arrietty (2010)
- Princess Mononoke (1997)
- The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013)
April 1, 2020
- Whisper of the Heart (1995),
- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (2008)
- Pom Poko (1994)
- From Up on Poppy Hill (2011)
- Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
- The Wind Rises (2013)
- When Marnie Was There (2014)